Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Substitute Cook

I've never felt creative when I cooked. I get a recipe and follow it exactly. Last week I copied one from the internet that sounded good. The ingredients all seemed to be on hand so I started it for lunch today.

First of all, I didn't write the name of the dish. I did include all the ingredients - 1/2 lb hamburger was the first one. However, There were no directions included. Do I brown it? Mix it raw with all the other stuff? Does it go in the oven as a casserole?

One cup of canned tomatoes. None in the cupboard so I squirted in some ketchup. I did have carrots, potatoes, onions and raw rice. No celery but I had part of a green pepper so that was chopped with the other veggies and added.

Oops, no beef broth! The amount of broth called for (3/4 cup) was replaced with water, added soy sauce, Worcestereshire Sauce and a couple of drops of liquid smoke. It looked like beef broth. Salt and pepper.

I decided to brown the hamburger, add the vegetables and "broth" and rice and let it cook in a skillet.

Lee loved it.  There's enough for another meal.



5 comments:

  1. That was funny! I rarely have the exact ingredients a recipe calls for so I improvise a lot. Unfortunately, unless I write down my changes I can never duplicate it. In fact, I just made an amazing, (according to my husband), chicken noodle soup last weekend. I don't remember what I did.
    Yours sounds really good.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later I looked on the internet (again) and found one that included only onion and green pepper, a lot more potatoes and milk for the liquid. Not sure I'd like milk in it.

      Delete
  2. Times are tough we have to make do! Glad it turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete