Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April 29, 1952

The second most important day in my life.

The first was when my parents adopted me and gave me wonderful life. "Only child" is dirty word - phrase - but if you mean I had lots of stuff, I did. I also had lots of love, care, teaching of morals and discipline, applied with swats on the bottom. No slaps or abuse but plenty of corrections!

And now, the Other Day. The day I met Lee and had a blind date. He had a date with another girl in the dorm but she had received a letter from her boy friend and decided she didn't want to go out. (the idea of not cheating.) So she asked if I would go on this double date with another girl and her boy friend. Sure. Anything to help a friend and a sailor home on leave.

On seeing the last name on the key chain in the 1948 coupe, I thought, "What a weird last name. Never heard that one before."

We had a picnic with fried chicken made by Lee's mom. She was a good cook! We went to a place near the river where for some forgotten reason Lee went wading. It was a grand time.

Three and a half months later, we were married. And yes, our oldest son arrived as all the gossips held their breath, seven years later.

We are so blessed. We've had our good times and bad, but so blessed to never be out of work. Sixty- eight years. My mother-in-law told me they didn't come to the manse where we got married because she figured it wouldn't last and she didn't want to be a witness to the crime! By the way, she and I got along great.  She was tough but I was lucky - she liked me and I liked her. In later years she had a different opinion, but I blame that on age and mental outlook.

So celebrating today on a blind date that turned out O. K. (We appear to be a little cracked.)

7 comments:

  1. What a great love story! Thank you for sharing it with us. Sixty eight years is quite an accomplishment in this day and age. It makes our almost 42 look paltry. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forty two looks good!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd best day: Birth of your second son
    4th best day: May 29th — because it's not too hot, not too cold. All you need is a light jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on the third day! Two sons who were and are the joys of our life. (Let us forget the teen years.) And now they have given us four granddaughters! Perfect!

      Delete
  4. You have had many blessings, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete