Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Speaking of Large Buttons -


I loved that coat.
Shopping for clothes to go away to college was such a big deal. I had already gone to a junior college locally and was ready to go about one hundred miles up the road to Emporia State Teachers College.
My dad actually was with my mom and me looking for a coat. There were several others there that were cheaper. I Loved this one but thought I should pick one of the less expensive one. I guess my dad could tell. He said if that's the one I wanted, let's get it. It was $75.00, long and full and a gorgeous raspberry  deep red shade.
This picture was taken shortly after we were married and starting my senior year. I met Lee at the end of my junior year in April. Three and a half months later we got married. I'm sure there was talk and calendars marked to see how long THAT was going to last. Or when the first child arrived. (That was seven years later.)
I don't remember what happened to it. Coats don't last forever but I wish I had kept it.

4 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful coat. My Mom had one with big buttons like that. It was Pendleton Wool. My Dad worked there in maintenance and bought remnants home from the throwaway bin and Mom made herself a coat. I loved it.
    You and Lee have definitely made it last and I hope all of the calendar watchers felt bad. :-). Dennis and I married young and people said we wouldn't last either. 42 years later, here we are. I definitely got the best part of the deal.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and lee are so young and gay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun old photos! I enjoyed seeing your coat and the memories it held! Love that car too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh, I can just imagine the raspberry red coloring on that coat! That had to be so beautiful! My mom had a coat with big buttons that she made (she made all our clothes) and she made one for me to match hers. I was so happy and loved that coat. Good for you and Lee proving all the calendar watchers wrong!!

    ReplyDelete