Thursday, July 23, 2020

Car Disaster


The car in yesterday's blog was a 1953 Ford Custom - the 50th year Ford had manufactured cars.
We bought it and my salary at the phone company just covered the payments of $93.00 per month.
I don't remember how long that went on but I claimed it must be MY car.
One week after we bought it, we met another car at an unmarked intersection. We were almost through the intersection and she approached and hit us, ruining both doors on the  passenger side.
This proved to the officer that we were not at fault (!) and no ticket was given to us. 
As for the other woman driver, when I saw her, she was looking back over her shoulder. I sat down on the curb and cried. My dear sweet husband said, "Don't cry. People will think you are hurt." I'm sure  he was as upset and frustrated as I was.
The doors were replaced but they never fit tightly. Later, during a windy dust storm near Russell, Ks, where this happened, dust sifted in around those doors.
No seat belts then and we were not hurt. I guess she wasn't injured either but that is her car in the lower photo.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my glad you we okay. Accidents are scary:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were okay but I understand your crying. It would have been so frustrating when you worked so hard to make the payments and it was so new too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a trade off back then, the carrs were built like tanks but no seat belts. My first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon, one of the few non VW cars I owned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you and Lee weren't hurt! I can't imagine having just bought a car only to have someone smash right into it. Ugh. Pretty sure I would've cried, too.

    ReplyDelete