Monday, February 24, 2020

Names

My sister-in-law and I were talking bout the new names that folks are choosing for their children now.

We both have very traditional names in our families. Fine.  My husband is a "junior." He made it very plain before our first son was born that he didn't want any "thirds" running around. Our last name is unusual so I wanted easy names for the boys.... Michael and Paul. I know that others may want their child to stand out in a crowd because of an unusual moniker.

The first name that I remember as being strange was Elijah Blue (Sher's son.) Many names are from the ethnicity of the parent - African American or Slavic or Greek. Many movie stars choose names that are out of the ordinary.

In yesterday's paper they listed new babies. This is not as common as it used to be and is not included every day.  The three I saw published were unusual. I'd love to hear what others think of these three.

Laken Rayne V.

Elijah Wolfe-Sage H.

Sawyer Timber B.

The last one makes me smile every time I see it.

 My folks had the right idea. Let me choose my own name and then I could never blame them if I didn't like it. I was adopted at five months old. Later they placed me on the floor with several pieces of paper around me with Lou Ann, JoAnn and Mary Lou. There may have been others but I guess if Mom told me, I have forgotten the rest.

So I chose Mary Lou. Oddly, there was a popular song at that time with the same name.

Later:

 I finally remembered the name of the man who had four children with unusual names - Frank Zappa!  Moon Unit and Diva were the girls; Dweezil and Ahmet were the boys. He gave his wife a choice of Moon or Motorhead. She chose moon. Diva was a loud baby.  This is all found on Google.



3 comments:

  1. Did the song have the lyrics, "So hello MaryLou, good-bye heart," in it? I don't know the title, but those lyrics popped in to my head when I read your post. :-)
    The most unusual name I ever heard/saw was when I was working in the Emergency Room. No one including the 13 year old mom could say the name when I asked how it was pronounced. She told me she put all 26 letters of the alphabet into a bowl and drew out 13 of them. That was what she named that poor baby in the order she pulled them out. It was unpronouncable. Seriously. I couldn't believe it. I have felt sorry for that child ever since and it was over 30 years ago.
    I think your Mom and Dad had a unique way of naming you and they were all great names too!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Mary Lou came along much later by
      Ricky Nelson! "All the bells in the steeple are ready to ring when you say I do, Mary Lou." It might be found on YouTube!

      Delete
  2. Way cool way to pick your name!
    Oh I like Sawyer Timber and Elijah Wolfe
    My Dad had three choices from Korea for a girl ( no boy choices cause he just knew he would have a daughter!) Sharon , Madeline or Connie. My Mom chose Connie.

    My daughter who teaches at a Technical College says some kids have horrid names Saniqua, Waunika, Shawshanna she just shakes her head:)

    ReplyDelete