Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Strange Mail

We get very little mail except for bills and ads.

So last week we received a letter addressed to Lee's first name only - no last name. The address was correct. The message was about "our" Time Share. We have never owned a Time Share. We needed to call an enclosed number right away to set up an appointment to get out of the contract.

Since this was the second letter - we had ignored the first one - I decided to call the people. I had decided it was some type of scam but I was prepared NOT to send them any money.

A very nice woman needed my reference number. I was very nice to her and asked why we would be getting this since the letter was NA (not applicable!) She was very nice and needed the reference number. She must be a clearing house for many types of advertising. She said these letters are sent out at random to an area where an agent will be appearing to help persons who want to get out of their Time Share.

Well, that cleared that up! She also gave me some advice. These letters are sent out automatically and if we get another one, tear it up.

Persons are concerned about privacy but I can remember when we had phone books and you could look up anybody's name, address and phone number. At the library there were phone books from other major cities and there was always "information" at Southwestern Bell or AT&T.  Now companies and internet businesses know all about us but if my casual acquaintance has a cell phone, there is no way I can find his number. We must exchange numbers at a face to face meeting.

Progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment