Saturday, April 28, 2018

Sewing Machine

I have not used my sewing machine for several years. Since I stopped quilting, we must not have had anything to "mend." My Elna has been sitting under a desk for a long time. Today I needed it.

The first problem was the piles of necessary things on top of the desk to move (or get rid of.) The phone books, which are practically useless except for calling businesses, the globe that goes on the ceiling light/fan. Every time  we put the globe up with it's little bitty screws, the light bulb burns out. This last time we just left the globe off and the bulb is still burning. Can it get too hot in there and hasten the failure of the bulb?  Just a crazy thought.  A radio that we seldom listen to and a small breathing treatment machine.

After moving all that stuff, or most of it, somewhere else, it was time to lift the Elna. I tried to lift with my legs, like they tell you in health class. I never could figure that one out. So tomorrow we'll see if the legs or the back hurts.

Next came the daunting task of plugging it in. Waaayy down under the desk is the outlet. Why don't they put outlets up higher as they do in the hospital? I got Lee in the room and told him he might have to help me get up. Sure enough. He did.

People laugh at those ads that say, "I've fallen and can't get up!"  They are not funny.

Much later I have the seam repaired and I'm leaving the machine where it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment