Friday, April 27, 2018

Beer Bread


I bought some wheat beer last week. I never did care for beer - until I tried wheat beer in Germany in 1989. I have raved about it ever since and finally bought some. (You don't want to rush these things.)
I had one glass with pizza. So far that is the only thing I have found that goes with beer.
So with five bottles in the fridge, I looked up a recipe I had for beer bread.

So simple:  3 cups self-rising flour, 1/2 cup sugar and one 12 oz. bottle of beer. Mix well and pour into well greased loaf pan. Bake 375 for one hour. (Mine was done in about 45 minutes. Next time I'll do 350 because the top got a little brown.)

The first photo shows what happens when you try to slice hot bread.
The second photo shows how nicely it slices when it is cooled. (It tastes better warm but I put in the microwave for 10 seconds to get that "out of the oven" taste.

Oh yes. If you don't have self-rising flour, you can use regular flour and add one tablespoon baking powder and one teaspoon soda along with the sugar. Whisk well before adding liquid.  Or, you can use Bisquik and follow the first instructions.








4 comments:

  1. I'll put a slice in the bag of goodies we have in the fridge - NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - not really. I pick the easy ones. Like the French bread that you stir every ten minutes for an hour. You don't need to knead it. After forming, then it rises.

      Delete