Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Midnight Excitement

About twelve o'clock this morning I woke up. I use a CPAP machine and I wasn't getting any pressure or oxygen. I got out of bed. The night light (tv) was out and so was the bathroom light.
However, the light was on in the dining room. Lee has been leaving it on since the hall light burned out (again.)
I check in the computer room and the lights in there were working. In the kitchen, no lights came on.
The refrigerator light came on when I opened the door. Wondering about the stove, I turned on the front burner and the ceiling light came on!  I turned the switch off and the light went off. I tried this three times and it worked every time.

I went back to the computer room and sat there for about forty-five minutes after I got a flash light and looked up the number for the power company. Suddenly all the lights went out. I grabbed the cell phone and called the number to report it. The nice voice was a live person and he told me the outage had been reported. That surprised me because it had just happened. Anyway, I walked into the living room while we were talking and the Westar truck was in front of our house. What quick service!

I stayed awake and watched the lighted helmet move from the front yard to the pole in the neighbor's yard several times. After a while, another truck arrived with two more men. They put a spot light on the pole and transformer.  I watch the lineman climb the pole and work with many cords or cables.

Meanwhile, Lee was up and insisted we needed to light an oil lamp. Of course, it was on the top of a cupboard in the utility room. Guess who had to get up on the ladder and retrieve it and a bottle of oil. We got that working after finding out the automatic fire starter didn't work. We had to resort to fireplace matches.  My opinion was we had flash lights. Why did we need a lamp.

Back to the kitchen window and I got a picture of the workman on the pole. I didn't try to zoom it so it is hard to make out. At 3:40 a.m. we had power.

The mystery for me is why did turning on the electric stove burner make the kitchen ceiling light come on. That was spooky.

4 comments: