Sunday, June 7, 2020

Old Candy

When I was a little kid, there was an old man who lived in the next block. He always had Horehound drops that he gave to all the little ones in the neighborhood. I think he enjoyed seeing all the little kids and we rode our trikes and scooters on the sidewalks around the blocks.

I saw some Horehound drops at a farm store this morning. I was on an errand to buy two lids for Country Tuff buckets. These are containers to store bird seed and squirrel food for our wild life friends.

So I bought the sack for $1.99. After lunch I tried one. No flavor. Maybe it's my taste buds. I was talking to New Jersey about five minutes later and I choked up, had trouble breathing and had to drink a lot of water to recover.

No more Horehound for me!

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how things like that bring back memoreis for us? Whenever I see the Brachs maple candies I thin of my Grandma. She always had them for us when we visited.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That same company makes a Wild Cherry drop that is awesome. I have never tried Horehound...I won't after your episode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy the same brand in cinnamon. Haven't tried it yet!

      Delete
  3. Horehound used to be a very strong taste. I remember a root beer menthol taste and a strong smell. Things keep changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess! I had Lee taste one and he said the same thing - no taste or flavor at all! Maybe our tastes buds are failing. Or maybe the candy has expired.(Nope. April 30, 2022

      Delete