Thursday, May 7, 2020

Who Irons Seersucker?

Putting the laundry away straight out of the dryer is mostly the way we do it around here. Very few things need ironing. Sweat shirts and old seersucker blouses make up a lot of my wardrobe so straight onto a hanger they go!

Well, I decided to wear one of my favorite thrift shop blouses, purchased years ago when Linda P. and I used to go look for bargains. I put it on and holy moly! The whole right sleeve was ripped from the elbow down.  It must have had a rough ride in the washer and dryer.

Someone said, "Buy some new blouses!" I said, "Now? Are you serious?" I never liked to shop anyway and I have plenty of things to wear. But I decided to save it.

I got out a pen, marked the cut lines and whacked it off below the elbow. (I did take it off first.)

My sewing machine is sitting idle on a desk. It's an Elna Quilters Dream machine. Since I stopped quilting. it has seen very little use. So little in fact, that I forgot how to use the automatic needle threader. After about fifteen minutes I got that solved and stitched a hem into those sleeves.

A nice summery blouse that needs no ironing.
P.S. Judith, tell Grace I saved the buttons.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lot of people have dusted off their machines recently. Mine is 41 years old and given to me by Dennis the first Christmas we were married. It's a Sears Kenmore that cost $79.00! It still works like a dream. No fancy bells and whistles.
    I'm glad you were able to bring that blouse back to life. I love doing that.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect solution! I find if I take something out of the dryer a bit damp and hang it to dry I can forego the iron. Far Guy has a few summer shirts like that....If I forget it for too long in the dryer I just wash it again:)

    ReplyDelete