Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Mumbles

Am I the only one who remembers the character, Mumbles, in the Dick Tracy comic strip? He was a criminal (I don't remember his crime) who spoke so low and so indistinctly that his nickname was Mumbles.

This morning I was listening to the local radio talk show - a once a week program that lets the locals express the complaints or praise for situations in our town or country. The voices all sounded garbled. I wondered if it is our radio or their mics. I had noticed this before but today was especially annoying.

I grabbed the hearing aides that our older son had given me (was that a hint?) I had tried them before and noticed how paper crinkles loudly and the water is very noisy coming out of the tap.

After I had them on for a short time, I heard a very dim male voice. My first thought was a walkie-talkie in the neighborhood that was bleeding into my frequency (!) A few minutes later I heard it again. It was saying, "Batteries are low." Spooky.

I got the new batteries out of the box and replaced the old ones. Suddenly the voices on the radio were much clearer.

Now if could just get the mumbler that I live with to speak like he does when he talks on Zoom, I wouldn't need the hearing aides around the house.

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of mumbles but I did laugh out loud at the hearing aide story. I think it's such a gradual thing that we don't even realize that the hearing loss is happening.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband talks so loud on his phone that it makes me smile he never talks that loudly to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember Mumbles but I do remember my 5 year old nephew, the first day he got his hearing aids, shouting from the bathroom, "Mom! I can hear my pee!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete