Monday, May 4, 2020

No Nap Today

For the first time in many days I have not had to take a nap. No idea why. I've done my minimal exercises and only walked around in the house. Last night on Silent Sunday Night Movies on TCM I watched Paul Robeson in his movie debut from 1925. These old movies are so much fun to watch. I like to watch the way they dressed the sets, the fabrics they used and furniture with old "bridge lamps," radio sets or phonographs.

There were several things in this one that I particularly noticed. Someone really liked checks. The curtains were checked; the dresses and blouses were different sizes of the same type design. The cloche hats were amazing with one having a large circle on each side that appeared to have been made by tracing around a doctor's mirror that is worn on the head to direct light down a throat and attached by a small button to the hat.

And then - in the corner was a knick-knack shelf just like the one my mom and dad had and I now have in one of the bedrooms.  This one may have a few more turns on the shelf separators but very similar!
The little Amish girl on the bottom was half of a set of salt and pepper shakers that my friend gave me after she had two girls and I had two boys. She said it was the only way I'd ever get a girl! Later she got a grandson and a granddaughter and I got four granddaughters! (I think my friend may have kept the little Amish boy.)   Since I was up late watching the old movie, I expected to be very tired today. So far,  so good.

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing how characters are dressed and looking at furniture and decor too. Especially in pioneer or old English settings.
    What a fun story of your shelf and Amish shaker.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those old movies! Sometimes, I get so caught up watching the furniture and decorating as well as the clothing, that I forget to pay attention to the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom had one of those corner shelves and I know which corner it was hung in but I think hers had a photo on it:)

    ReplyDelete