Friday, November 15, 2019

Non-Friendly

Usually I am a friendly person to strangers. I smile when two carts meet at a corner in the grocery store, saying, "Excuse me." Folks here wave at pedestrians as we drive down the street whether we know them or not.

Yesterday was an exception. I went to the farm supply store for more cat food. An older gentleman (but not as old as I am!) was telling a long story to two women who looked as if they would like to move on. They were at the check out line when I went in and were there when I was ready to check out. The store was not busy. As I was paying, the two women moved on (got away) and the man approached me and leaning over my shoulder said, "Do you know why the cows in Arkansas wear bells?"
Without turning my head, I said, "No."  "Because their horns don't work."

I didn't laugh. I didn't smile. I walked out.

While I was returning my cart from the parking lot, he called out, "Lady, is your husband a veteran?" I didn't answer and actually walked around the back of his van so that I didn't have go by the driver's side where he was now sitting.

Maybe he was just being friendly but it sure struck me wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he was lonely. Who knows? But unfortunately, in this day and age you can't be too careful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was probably just lonely and needed a womans attention! It is okay that you ignored him:)

    ReplyDelete