Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tangy Glazed Carrots


This picture was taken after half the carrots had disappeared. They may not look appetizing but they really are good. A recipe from 1982. Our sons were at college. The younger one fixed us dinner (I call it supper since I'm from a family where dinner was at twelve o'clock noon.)
I confess I do not remember what else we had. It was a nice meal and I was so glad I had let the kids help me cook when they were growing up.  (Do not ask the older one about the hand on the hot burner.)
After we had finished the meal and I asked PN for the recipe, he explained that he was  having guests over the next night and he wanted to try it out on us first. :)

Here is the way to make Tangy Glazed Carrots:

6 carrots
1/3 c. orange juice
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 jar (5 oz.) pineapple cheese spread  -  do they even sell those anymore in the cute little juice glasses?

1. Peel carrtos. Slice into 1/4" rings. Place in microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp. water.
Cook covered for 7 - 8 minutes, stirring once. Drain. (I had nothing to drain. The water cooked away.)

2. Combine juice, sugar, cloves, salt and cheese spread. Blend thoroughly. Pour mixture over hot cooked carrots.

3. Cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 minutes till cheese melts and mixture is piping hot.

Later:
I forgot! I didn't have any pineapple cream cheese sold in a juice glass so I used some light Philadelphia cream cheese. Worked just fine. If I had had some crushed pineapple, I would have added some to make it more authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment