Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Littlest Rebel


Shirley Temple was eight years old when she made the movie, The Littlest Rebel. I watched it on TMC a few days ago.
 I remember a book my parents bought me that was published after the movie because there were scenes from the movie included in it. (I wish I had that book today.) I was just learning to read and they must have taught the "sound it out" method. When I came to words "damn Yankees" I pronounced it "dam-en Yankees."
I remember wondering why my folks exchanged looks and smiled a lot. They did not correct my pronounciation.
In watching the movie, I did not hear that term used. I believe the first time on the screen was in 1939 when Clark Gable told Scarlett that he didn't give a dam-en.

We have come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment