Saturday, March 31, 2018

Books

I loved to read. From grade school on I read library books daily. Trips to the library with Marcheta, my cousin, would result in bringing home as many books as they would let us check out. I can't remember the number but it was limited.

I used to end up with some strange fiction, chosen only because of the title. Marcheta said I had a gift of picking out strange stories.

Lately I haven't read many books. The last was Doris Kearns Goodwin's "A Team of Rivals." Too much television, computer time and crocheting cancelled out reading.

This morning I finished reading "Rosemary, The Hidden Kennedy Daughter" by Kate Clifford Larson. The book was sent to me by our niece and I thank her for that. The sad story of medical practices in the 1930's and '40's was frightening. It was just a case of not knowing what they thought they knew. Does that make sense?

It is very revealing to read how the wealthy lived, treated their children and carried on their lives.
During Rosemary's early teens and twenties, the rest of the siblings did not know what care was being given to her. And none of them knew about the surgery that disabled her. Her mother, Rose, had priorities that didn't help the situation.

The end result of the tragic story is that through the work of her sisters and brothers, great progress was made in the treatment of persons suffering with mental problems of all kinds. President Kennedy and Senator Ted Kennedy both were behind legislation to confront the problems. But Eunice Kennedy was the one who deserves the most credit. She formed organizations even before the laws were passed. I admire her the most of all the family members.

A very interesting book

3 comments:

  1. I heard they did a lobotomy on the poor child...that seems so scary.
    You are lucky to have a library. We only had books during the schiool year. Our Mother was not a reader...so there were no books other than a Bible in the house and an old Veterinary Dictionary in the garage. I used to sneak in there to read it. Mother said reading was a waste of time when you could be doing something productive...:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book,too! I think mr. Kennedy was behind her having the lobotomy. He thought he could "fix" her. It was really interesting but sad.

    I love to read as do both my daughters. Just read "jefferson's daughters". Book before that was about the students who intergrated little rock's junior highs in 1963. It was an eye opener too. My mother was not a reader. She thought it was a waste of time. I had to hide to read when I was a child!! Dad was a reader. All the sisters read for pleasure despite my mom's opinions. Maybe it was reverse psychology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read to our kids when they were babies (less than a year old.) I have since heard that doing that is very good for a kid's mind to develop.

    ReplyDelete