Monday, March 26, 2018

Birthdays

Today is the birthday of my friend in Texas. JoAnn and I have known each other since the fifth grade. We have a lot of memories of crazy things we did at school, church camp and through high school.

Once when we were dragging Main in my folks '34 Plymouth, Tilly, we got out to get an ice cream cone. Yes, there were times when you actually had to get out of the car and walk in a place to buy a snack. We returned to the car and were driving up Main, when two friends from church, quietly raised up in the back seat and about gave us both a heart attack. I saw them in the mirror and yelled something - no swear words - we actually did not swear. Then Jo saw them and she hollered. They were laughing like idiots and we were actually mad after we recovered. It's I wonder that I  didn't wreck that little car. They had seen us go into the ice cream store and got in the back seat.
Now when I see that scene in A Few Good Men where the officer is sitting in the back seat of Tom Cruise's car, I can identify with Tom's character.

After we were all grown up, we lived near each other in Friesen's First Addition. Our kids played together. She had two girls; we had two boys. Our first son was born nine months to the day after she  had their first daughter. I told her that must have inspired me because we had been married almost seven years and had given up on having any kids. Then the second two arrived within six weeks of each other.

 She used to brag that she was two days older. Now I brag that I'm two days younger. Zsazsa Gabor used to say, "Never trust a woman who tells you her correct age." I don't agree with that. I'll tell my age and hope Jo isn't offended. Today she is 87 and I will be on Wednesday.  Happy Birthday, Jo!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Is that the porch swing you still have in that pic?

      Delete
    2. No, that was one in Jo's back yard.

      Delete
  2. What a fun old memory! Happy Birthday to you! You should have a whole birthday week!! :)

    ReplyDelete