Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Mom's Jelly

I read a blog today about making jelly and jam from a gift of fruits and juices. My mind went back to a story that I remember my mom telling friends. (Why do we remember certain things from when we were a kid? I wish I had a better memory from that time.)

Anyway, my mom could never make jelly and make it Jell! It always was a thick liquid which we used on biscuits or toast but it was never jelly.

Our neighbor Avis Minor, made wonderful canned things and was best known for her jelly. She told mom she would come over, watch her and she would assure her that it would "jell."

They spent the morning making the jelly. I don't remember what kind she tried. The next day, Avis came over and in the kitchen where the jars were lined up, she grabbed the nearest one. Before mom could say No, Avis turned it upside down over the linoleum floor space. That is how confident she was that it was perfect.

There was thin, runny, juicy jelly splattered all over the floor. They had a good laugh and cleaned it up. Avis could never understand what went wrong when she watched every step of the process.

1 comment:

  1. Chokecherry is the worst! I use a little extra pectin when I do chokecherry:) I have made syrup a few times:)

    ReplyDelete