Saturday, January 5, 2019

Voices

I always knew I couldn't sing. Well, I could, but nobody wanted to hear it.

Then the first time I heard my voice recorded on a wire recorder at a Prairie Pow Wow in Hutchinson, KS, about 1947, I was really struck by how different my voice sounded coming from outside my head.

I had a friend, Kay Streepy, who told me my voice was just like Arthur Godfrey's. As soon as she heard it, she knew who it was. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad about that remark.

And now I'm not complaining, but I wonder how some of the women on the news channels got their positions. Some are very nasal. I thought that was limited to Kansas voices. Some are not pleasant at all but there are a few in the lower register that sound soothing.

Back to why they were hired?  They are all very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment