Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Doctor Day

When I worked at Montgomery Ward in Dodge City, we had one employee who cared for her elderly mother. There was one day every so often when she took time off to take her mother to a doctor appointment.  We used to call it "Doctor Day," and sort of privately snickered. How awful we were. We never were rude to the person but I guess we thought it was funny that her mother had to go to the doctor so often.

Well, now I have reached that elderly age. It's not funny. We go when we're told to return and appreciate the care they give us.  Once in a while I think, "Maybe I could just call them when something is bothering me," but they seem to want to keep track on a more regular basis.

So we travel the mile and two tenths to the clinic/hospital area. We are lucky to live so close. And with some experience with what happens as we age, I am ashamed that I was part of the people who thought it was funny. At least we didn't express negative thoughts to the blessed person who was doing the best she could for her mom.

1 comment:

  1. It seems as if we live at the clinic some weeks. Luckily I only need to go once in a great while with my parents.

    ReplyDelete