Monday, February 26, 2018

Report of a Wind Storm

This is card from the same trip that was mentioned yesterday. My granddad was a carpenter. During the shingling of a school house, he upset a wasp nest and was stung many times on his balding head.
I am surprised I don't have a card mentioning that but it is in my memory. He was able to drive his old car home and he was in terrible pain from all those stings.
This is a screen shot from a movie with the 1928 Buick coupe like my grandparents owned. I don't remember the name of the comedian in the shot but when I was watching the movie, I had to grab my phone and get a photo of that car. This car stayed in the family when my grandparents came to live with us when I was thirteen. I wanted to drive so badly - Jo and would sit in it and wish we could drive it!  We both started driving at 14. It was legal in Kansas. Two questions to get your license: Are you color blind? Do you have epileptic seizures?  That'll be fifty cents please.
So evidently the car was sold before we were able to get our licenses.  My first car was a '34 Plymouth. . .it wasn't mine! My folks sold a '41 Hudson to a friend and replaced it with the Plymouth.
Newer cars were not available during WWII. 

6 comments:

  1. Buster Keaton? Charlie Chaplin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Langdon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to drive that car too! Lucky your Granddad was okay, I was stung many times also and nearly died when I was three...just allergic now.

    ReplyDelete