Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Mom's Birthday



These are my favorite  pictures of my mom, Selma Wright Brown. She was born on February 7, 1904, in Halstead, KS. She had three brothers and two sisters. Another sister died in infancy. 
She was next to the youngest.
When she was seventeen, she went to nurse's training at the Halstead Hospital which was started by Dr. Arthur E. Hertzler. He was "The Horse and Buggy Doctor" which was the name of one of his books. Later he wrote "The Doctor and His Patients." I have a copy of each, signed by the author.
She graduated in the class of 1923. She did floor duty and private practice in patients' homes.

After three years of marriage, she and my dad adopted me from the hospital in Hutchinson, KS, where she occasionally worked. It was the best thing that happened to me - ever!

During WWII, there was a shortage of many things - one being nurses. The hospital wanted her to come to work. She told them she had a ten year old daughter.  Their reply? She's old enough to take care of herself. She did go to work and after school I went to a cousin's house after school. It all worked out.

She was a great mom and became a grandmother after seven years of my husband and I being married. I think she had given up. (So had I.) So she only was able to love the two grandsons for five years. 

Sixty is way too young for a grandmother to die.  I miss her and I'm  sorry for the grief I gave her a few times when I was a teen. She forgave me and that's good!



4 comments:

  1. Ten year old children were more responsible back then! What a great post about your Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the meatloaf recipe you posted by way of far north blogger!! I am trying it today. Sorry I made you such an elder lady when you are a young 88! I visit your blog and love to read about your life. Keep posting as you have lots of readers interested in your ramblings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you like the meat loaf. I must have typo'ed - I'm 86..LOL

      Delete