Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Birthday -


This is my second cousin, Marcheta Rose Dewey Lanning. We grew up together. She had one brother and we were probably as close to being sisters as cousins can be.
This photo is her during her senior year of high school, 1947, acting silly behind their house in Hutchinson, KS. We had so many good times in that house which was built in 1888. It's still there and was for sale at one time for $15,000. Our older son said, "Why didn't you tell me? I would have bought it!"

I miss her. She and her large family moved to the Pacific Northwest and I flew out to visit at least twice. What a great time we had with her husband, David Farley. We did day trips and stayed by the ocean in a lovely cabin. I told them they just were doing too much to entertain me and she said, "No, when people come to visit, we take them where we enjoy going."  Good idea!!! I know I enjoyed it.

We were in both in band. She played tympani, glockenspiel and all things percussion - plus she had a marimba in her home.

Marcheta, you taught me a lot about life, boys and politics. Love you.

1 comment: