Thursday, September 27, 2018

Refrigerator Bowl


This bowl belonged to my mom. I always think it was from the Jewel Tea man but I can't prove that!
In the 1930's and 1940's Jewel Tea employees came around the neighborhood selling much more than tea. He was a real traveling salesman.

I once saw a bowl exactly like this in an antique shop window. Wow! We have two sons. I'll buy this one and can leave one to each grandson from their long gone grandma.  I went inside and saw the price.  $50.00. I almost asked them if they would like to buy mine.

Needless to say, I still have just the one bowl. I seldom use it. The lid does not make a tight seal and I don't want to accidentally drop and break it.

If you cannot enlarge the printing on the bottom, it says: Universal-Cambridge, O.
Oven Proof  Made in U.S.A.
THIS PATTERN WILL NOT FADE.
Below that the printing is faded (!)  but it looks like PermaCal

I love old dishes.

P.S.

I should have Googled it first! Here's what I found. A description of a 3 qt. mixing bowl but the design and stamp on the bottom are the same.

"This large, heavy ceramic mixing or serving bowl was made by Universal Potteries which operated in Cambridge, Ohio from 1934 through 1954.

The Woodvine pattern with a green branch with red flowers and green leaves was probably made in the 40s or 50s.

On the bottom there's a stamp with Universal Cambridge Oven Proof, Made in U.S.A., This pattern will not fade it is permacal, and in the center National Brotherhood Operative Potteries. Imprinted is 3 qt 6 oz. It measures 8.75" across and 5" high."

I also love Google.


1 comment:

  1. Pretty bowl! You will have to find another treasure to gibe the other grand:)

    ReplyDelete