Saturday, October 13, 2018

SWB Reunion

Today was a reunion for former employees of Southwestern Bell. A wonderful bunch of women worked hard to provide food, entertainment and fellowship  at the Delos Smith Jr. Senior center.

Committees don't get enough credit for what they do. It was a great time to see the folks who used to sit side by side and say, "Number, please" and later "This is (operator's name.) I can't remember if we added, "May I help you?"

I worked a cord board in Russell, Kansas for almost two years in 1952 and 1953. Many years later after working at a PBX at Hutchinson's Grace Hospital (Hutchinson Hospital South and Hutchinson Hospital) I went to SWB. When Hutchinson converted to dial, we went from a cord board to digital consoles. I wish I had a photo to share. I liked the job and we needed to be polite. Sometimes we took verbal outbursts from frustrated customers but it was a good job with good pay.

Today we ate fried chicken, green beans, mashed taters and gravy - good old non fancy food.

And we had fun.








1 comment: