Monday, October 22, 2018

Infant Dress from 1917

This dress was given to me by my birth grandmother. I met her late in her life and she gave me several things that had belonged to my birth mother. Both her daughter and my real mother had passed away and through a happenstance, the birth grandmother and I crossed paths. We met and had several visits. She outlived two of her children and died at age 97.

At first I thought this dress was hand embroidered There is no label at the neckline and no sign of there ever being one. The more I look at it, I believe it may have been embroidered by machine. Did they even have machines to do that in 1917?

Later: After Googling the embroidery machine, it was invented very early in the 1800's and finally became perfected about 1846. Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gown! I am so glad she shared some things with you! :)

    ReplyDelete