Thursday, December 27, 2018

This is a Hat

Yesterday I saw a free pattern for a hat on the internet. The claim for the easy peasy project was that it could be made in thirty minutes.
 Since I was going to be at the hospital for about four hours, I grabbed some yarn, a hook one size smaller than they suggested and stashed them in a bag. My gauge is usually larger than it should be using the hook that they suggest.
At one o'clock I arrived for my infusion. After I was hooked up and there was no blood to mess up the yarn, I started the hat. It kept getting bigger and flatter. When it was time to leave, it was the size of a large pizza pan. I don't know what in the H E double toothpicks went wrong but I know that I was frustrated. After whining to my sister-in-law, I started doing the frog stitch - rip it, rip it. In my dismay, I forgot to take a photo of the large circle!
So this morning I started over. This time it went more smoothly but the designer's estimate on the time for this project is not correct for me. I have always said that I was one of the slowest knitters in the world. Not to brag. Just to state a fact. Crocheting has always been speedier. Well, I started in about 5:00 a.m. and with only a few interruptions, I finished about 8:45. Using a double strand slowed me down (excuses, excuses.)
In addition, the pattern called for one more row. I tried it on and one more row meant that it would have been down over my eyes in front and over my collar in the back.
So this is one of a kind. I doubt if ANY of the grands would wear this one.

I think I'm stuck with it.

4 comments:

  1. Some of those easy patterns are not so easy. I know someplace on the internet I found a chart that tells about head sizes and gives you more than guess about stitches and when to stop increasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks it's not one of my better ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating. I never learned to knit or crochet unfortunately. The thread sure is a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete