Sunday, December 9, 2018

Peppernuts

About a week ago our younger son and his wife sent us a large box of peppernuts. These are made from a recipe my aunt in Halstead, KS, gave to me. They have been made and eaten for at least eighty years around our house. The recipe is huge - twelve cups of flour, anise oil and other spices. You can imagine the labor involved in changing all that dough into small cookies the size of a large marble.
We rolled them out in long "snakes" and then cut them. It's an all day process.

They were disappearing at an alarming rate, sitting on the dining room table, so I moved them to the china closet. We both knew where they were but I stupidly thought, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Today  I went to get one after only eating a couple the day they arrived. There were thirteen left in the large bowl.

I took one out, ate it.  Let's just say I was a little ticked.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. We had a neighbor who used to make them...they are okay...she used to give them away during the holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like PN needs to up the peppernut shipment:)

    ReplyDelete