Saturday, December 2, 2017

The Cost of Smoking

We went to get gas today in the van. It was down to only one quarter tank. Usually we keep the top half full. Lee wondered if it would take $25 worth. It would - with another quarter tank to fill it up.

As I sat there, I saw the sign advertising cigarettes. I've never smoked unless you count the time a friend and I tried one in my bedroom and had to put it out in the window sill and throw it out to the drive-way. I'm sure my mother was not fooled. The smoke does smell, after all. And the evidence was right below my bedroom window. I think that was in the seventh grade.

Anyway, back to the sign. A carton of Newport is listed at $66.49. I had to come home and google how many packs are in a carton. Ten with twenty ciggies in each pack.

It seems in my memory that packs were 25 cents when I was a kid or $2.50 a carton.

Inflation?

1 comment:

  1. Taxes mainly. Around here the only people that can afford to smoke are people on Public Assistance :)

    ReplyDelete