Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Chicken Soup for the Body

Remember the book from a few years ago, Chicken Soup for the Soul?  I made some soup for me to eat. I think it may be true that it helped the cold I felt coming on.

With only a chicken breast and one thigh in the freezer, I used half a bag of Amish noodles. Broth from bouillon cubes is not as good as broth from cooking a whole chicken or from a carton bought at the store. But it's what I had.

I had some cooked carrots from the roast so I sliced them and threw them in at the end of the cooking. It was ok but seemed to lack something. How about a little thickening with corn starch? OK. Still lacking Something. Oh!

Salt!

My how that improved the thing. So far I have frozen three servings. Lee won't eat it. In fact, when he saw it in the fridge, he said he thought he'd have some of that tuna casserole. I said, 'What tuna?"  He mentioned noodles, so I had to tell him what it really was. I said maybe if I hadn't told him, he probably wouldn't have known the difference. His reply? "Probably."

This morning I had some for breakfast. Weird? Not really. When our boys were in grade school, I heard a teacher that I admired very much say that it was better to let your kids eat anything they wanted for breakfast (left-over pizza?) than to let them go to school with nothing in their tummies! So since that time, I have had some unusual breakfasts, thanking Jan Skeen Bretz for widening my view of what to eat when.

1 comment: