Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Neighborhood Grocers #1

Before the super markets and mega shopping areas came to be, we had small stores all over our little town. 
The first little grocery I was aware of was this one. I remember it as Walden's.
It is located across the street south
of Roosevelt Grade School in Hutchinson, KS. We bought penny candy and bubble gum there.
I don't remember buying any drinks. There was plenty of water inside the school at the water fountains. Now, of course, it is remodeled into a home.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember, when in Kindergarten at Roosevelt, Miss Schmucker would send one student a day across to Walden's for a box of Graham Crackers as either a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack? How exciting as a five year old to be trusted w/money to buy something like that for the entire class. (And I didn't even like them, but I must have eaten them.) -R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that! One of my forgotten memories.....

      Delete