Monday, August 11, 2014

A Long Gray Wall

This is the south wall of what was formerly known as KSIR or the Kansas State Industrial Reformatory.  Now it is the Hutchinson Correction Facility.
Many years ago trades were taught to the residents. We had a cedar chest and a porch swing that were built there. Now part of their time is spent in classes to help educate them. Living with and training dogs is another option. From time to time there are mustangs offered for sale that have been socialized.  I'm sure there are many other things that I'm not aware of
When I see this wall, I think of that old song, "If I had the wings of an angel, over these prison walls I would fly."
It is so sad that our society has more people imprisoned per capita than any other country. (That may not be accurate but if it's on the internet, it has to be true!)

3 comments:

  1. It is true. We have so much crime anymore and most of it is connected with the drug culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went up there one time to visit the son of a friend who was incarcerated there. So sad. He was in that drug culture. He used his time there to get a college education and to become a psychologist. I saw him several years alter at a sale and he came over to introduce me to his wife. What a wonderful thing that was.

    ReplyDelete