Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Bum Song

My grandparents lived in Iowa on a small farm. When I was in the third grade, I took a trip, by myself, on the train to Fairfield, IA. There were stewardesses on the train to watch out for kids traveling alone.

What an adventure. I didn't even have to wear a name tag. I met people on the train but I remember only one - a Mrs. Waterhouse. I have her autograph in my autograph book.

There was no electricity on their little farm in Woolson, IA. They did have a crank phone which I have to admit that I did listen in sometimes when it didn't ring "our" ring. I don't find Woolson on a map but it was just south of Richland.

There was a big old Victrola in the parlor and a bunch of thick 78 rpm records. My favorite was what I thought was called The Bum Song.  I found it on YouTube and it wasn't the same one. Right next to it was Hallelujah, I'm a Bum.  That was it!

And here it is for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uKbIkYGsIg

I think I had those lyrics memorized at one time. Recorded in 1928 on Victor records and rereleased in 1941 on Bluebird records.

4 comments:

  1. Ha. You must've sang that because I remember it. But I thought it was "to REMIND us again":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great song, very much like the times back then. I can see whay you must have liked the song. I love the sounds of the old Victrola. We had one at the Museum that did not work. Far Guy got it working again and I would let kids crank it...and sometimes old folks would dance. :) What an adventure for you as a small child!! Traveling all alone, but times were different back then, adults looked out for children more back then I think.

    ReplyDelete