Sunday, September 17, 2017

Loved That Coat

The picture is from 1953. Newly-weds and my wine colored coat that my folks bought for me to wear to my junior year at Emporia State Teacher's College (now known as Emporia State.)

I remember shopping for a winter coat with both my dad and mom. This may seem odd now, but I think my dad enjoyed seeing my mom and me picking out "stuff" to take to school. We looked at many coats. Being the tight wad that I still am, I wanted this one so badly but was going to choose a tan model that was much cheaper. My dad asked which  one did I really like and I told him this one.
"Let's get it then." (Not too spoiled a brat at twenty.) It was $75.00.

Well I loved that coat. I was like a tent, full and long. There were smaller buttons on the sleeves and the texture was a little nubby. (Is that even a word?)

The reason I bring this up is that the other night I dreamed about that coat. In my dream I was shopping at a store that was closing. This was probably influenced by my trip to our Penney's store which is closing. I hardly ever "shop" anymore. I don't need anything. During this trip to Penney's  I made a small purchase which I thought was going to cost me about $8.00 . The cashier rang it up and said, "Four dollars and thirty-two cents. You saved $108 dollars. What a deal!!

So in the dream I am shopping and I see my coat from 1951! It looks brand new and I can't wait to buy it! What actually happened to the real coat?  After wearing it for years, I gave it to my dad's cousin, Violet, who was a miracle worker with fabric and could sew, remake, alter anything you gave her. She cut off the buttons and gave them to me. The thing is, I don't remember what she made out of it!

Anyway, the dream was a pleasant memory.  Next I'll tell you about the one I had last night that included John McCain and a trip on a motorcycle.

2 comments:

  1. I bet that coat was very warm too! What crazy dreams we have sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a nice memory:)❤️

    ReplyDelete