Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The House from Yesterday's Blog in 1946

This is where we lived for only three and a half years - 1944-47. That's my bicycle in front of the bushes. A beautiful curved staircase that my friend said I could walk down to get married; sliding pocket doors from the parlor to the dining room. Those came in  handy when my grandparents came to live with us and that was used as their bedroom. Four bedrooms, all upstairs. Mine had a stairway from the closet to the floored attic. A bathroom with entrances from the hall and two bedrooms so that you needed to be quick to get all those doors closed. A back stairway down to a half bath on the main floor. Crank out windows in the bedrooms. A walk-out door way from the master bedroom on the front to a small porch with railing. A very primitive kitchen with lots of cabinets but a very old sink; a foyer with cut glass windows that made prisms with rainbows when the sun was rising.
Maybe you can tell that I loved that house. I was so disappointed when my dad sold it. He bought it for $4000 in 1944 and sold it for $8000. The buyer brought cash (!) and my dad said, "Let's go to the bank." I think he wanted witnesses to where he had gotten all that money.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely old house. The kitchen could have been redone and it would have been great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they have an open house when it's all restored!

      Delete
  2. That is an incredible house. Swoon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Houses have a way of staying in your heart. I still have dreams about our first house from 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the one we lived in for 45 years was special too! I thought we'd never leave but we did and have the memories of raising two sons there.

      Delete