Monday, October 3, 2011

Gender terms

This Monday morning I had coffee with three women friends. This evening I read an article about what women don't like to be called.  Among the terms were girl, ma'm, lady, ya'll (mainly in Texas) and guys. The latter seemed the most offensive to most of the women quoted. I find none of the words offensive.

I guess I never thought much about what people called me - for instance when the waiter approaches and says, "How are you girls this evening?" To say, "How are you women this evening?" seems rather odd. The only gender neutral term seems to be ya'll.

One of the nicest things I heard when working with the public was "dear heart." Of course, this customer called all the clerks that so it was nothing special.
Maybe next Monday I can find out what the other three think.


As my mom used to say, "I don't care what you call me, just call me in time for supper."

1 comment:

  1. I prefer "mistress of the universe" or "goddess" whenever I go out. Your majesty is usually extensive but also able to be used.

    ReplyDelete