Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stewart Hospital Hutchinson KS


This hospital was built by two brothers, Dr. James and Dr. Richard Stewart who came to Hutchinson in 1891. They built their hospital in 1900. It became a Methodist Hospital in 1915 and later an addition was added.

It was then known as Grace Hospital.In 1971 Grace Hospital merged with St. Elizabeth's Hospital and the two became known as Hutchinson Hospital South and Hutchinson Hospital North. In 1975 the merger was completed with a move to a new building east of town.
After thirty years, some one in marketing (!) decided to rename the facility Promise Regional Medical Center. Ok. It will still be called Hutchinson Hospital by us old fogies.....

For several years the old building has stood vacant. Part of it was torn down. There were attempts to use it for various things.At last it is being rennovated for apartments. Another good project for our town.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. I was born in St. Elizabeth Hospital in Hutchinson. Can anyone tell me where it was? Any pix of what it looked like in 1945?

    ReplyDelete
  2. St. Elizabeth Hospital was in the building at 29th & Monroe. Northeast corner, if you google it. HTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn typo! That should say 20th & Monroe. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we have Hutchinson Regional Medical Center which is a nice change back to identifying our town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born in Grace Hospital in 1956. I am wanting to find out the time of my birth and the birth certificate does not indicate a time of birth. Does anyone know if there could possibly be records kept with this kind of information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just saw this - Do you have the hospital certificate or the standard certificate of birth issued by the state of Kansas? The state certificate does have a place to record the time, near the bottom of the certificate. Applications for a certified copy of that record available at:http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth.html

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful information, but does anyone have a current picture of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a photo of the finished apartment building. I'll post it on the blog since I cannot find your location.

      Delete
  7. I live here it's kind of creepy especially the stairwells my mom did not tell me it was hospital till a month after I moved in a few weird things have happened like doors locking on there on when your home alone I would usually lock that with the supernatural because I love that type of stuff but it could be the way the building is positioned

    ReplyDelete