Sunday, June 6, 2010
Stewart Hospital Hutchinson KS
This hospital was built by two brothers, Dr. James and Dr. Richard Stewart who came to Hutchinson in 1891. They built their hospital in 1900. It became a Methodist Hospital in 1915 and later an addition was added.
It was then known as Grace Hospital.In 1971 Grace Hospital merged with St. Elizabeth's Hospital and the two became known as Hutchinson Hospital South and Hutchinson Hospital North. In 1975 the merger was completed with a move to a new building east of town.
After thirty years, some one in marketing (!) decided to rename the facility Promise Regional Medical Center. Ok. It will still be called Hutchinson Hospital by us old fogies.....
For several years the old building has stood vacant. Part of it was torn down. There were attempts to use it for various things.At last it is being rennovated for apartments. Another good project for our town.