Thursday, November 26, 2020

Yesterday's Tuna Casserole

 Lee loves tuna casserole. So I started to make it about 11:00 a.m. Looked in the cupboard for the large can of tuna in water. No tuna. I remembered some nice person had sent me two packages of tuna salad (Bumble Bee brand) and I had some other just plain tuna in a packet. These three did not total up to the right number of ounces - but almost!

Then I went for the frozen pea packet that was lying upside down in the freezer. Ah Oh. It was frozen brussel  sprouts. Well they are green. I gave them a zap in the microwave and cut them up into small pieces. Chopped onion. Had milk. No sour cream so I  threw in a couple of teaspoons of mayonnaise. 

Salt and pepper. No grated cheese but I don't use that anyway and no crushed cheese cracker topping. Also not generally used. And of course, the canned mushroom soup was on hand. Melted butter and garlic powder.

When I first started cooking, I remember I had to have every item that the recipe called for.  I have learned to substitute. 

Lee thought it was grand.


7 comments:

  1. All that matters is that Lee was happy with the outcome yes? Sometimes substitutions work amazingly well or better huh! I've never thought of crushed cheese crackers as a casserole topping, sounds good so I will have to try that! Be blessed and be well, my friend! Hope you're feeling and doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good substitutions to me. I have not made a hot Tuna dish for years...we ate in all the time in college:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had fresh tuna nearby, I would prefer it fixed that way. I ordered some in a restaurant once and it was like leather. The Plains don't do fish very well unless you go to a high dollar place!

      Delete
  3. It all sounds good to me. Tuna casserole is one of my favorite foods. My mom made it for our lunch almost every week. I would walk home from school at noon and we would sit and eat together before I would have to go back to school. It's now like a comfort food...good memories and love wrapped up in tuna!! :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice memories. Funny. . . I don't remember mom making it at all but surely she did. My dad did not care for casseroles. "Everything all mixed together in one dish!"

      Delete
  4. Not following the recipe?! What?!? :)

    ReplyDelete